- Find a long-term rental
- Start to create a detail list of your contents
- Have your insurance company send you a certified copy of your insurance policy, adjusted for inflation
- Complete the list of contents / personal property.
- Start to create a list of the quality features of your previous home (countertops, flooring, cabinets, appliances, etc.)
- Get the insurance company to send you a detailed rebuild estimate.
- Get the insurance company to send you the ACV payment.
- Understand your policy limits and how to maximize a fair rebuild settlement.
- Interview general contractors who can also assist with design, engineering, building permits, and construction management of new home AND stay within your policy limits.
- If you are under-insured, and want to rebuild, look into financing options.
- Decide whether you would like to rebuild or just take the insurance payout.
- Assess how you are able to maximize a fair insurance payout.
- Sign a contract with a general contractor.
- Complete your selections for the new home.
- Start construction.